Best and Worst Drinks for Strong and Healthy Teeth
Consuming sugar in the form of drinks is one of the major contributors to dental decay and diseases. The massive amount of sugar dissolved in the drinks primarily affects tooth strength; hence, it is essential to know about one’s drink intakes and how they can affect the teeth.
Pediatrics in Doral often suggest that creating a well-balanced diet for your children that includes healthy drinks can be extremely beneficial for their long term oral health.
- Water is considered to be the most beneficial drink for the entire human population. It lacks artificial sugars and carbohydrates, along with harmful elements like fat, starch, or sodium. This magical drink flushes the excessive build-ups in the system and cleanses the teeth effectively. Therefore, it is considered to be an exceptional drink while also providing needed hydration to the body.
- Fruit juices are another great drink that offers a host of health benefits, especially in young children. However, fruit juices with added sugars can have an entirely different effect on the system. Fresh-squeezed fruit juices are rich in vitamin C and help in synthesizing collagen. Collagen is an important component of the teeth and gums, which helps in providing strength to them. Kiwi, Strawberry, Guava, and Oranges are several fruits that are rich in vitamin C. However, commercial juices lack essential nutrients; therefore, they must be avoided.
- Milk is yet another drink highly beneficial for teeth. Human teeth are made up of calcium. Therefore, providing excessive sources of calcium can help them maintain the original strength of the teeth. It provides strength to the gums and teeth and reduces the levels of acids, preventing teeth plaque. Milk is also rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- Children nowadays love consuming milkshakes and other sports drinks. These drinks do possess some amounts of milk; however, they also render great disadvantages to the gums and teeth. Chocolate milk possesses a massive amount of sugar, which helps the growth of bacteria in the mouth, causing severe tooth plaque and decay. Additionally, sports drinks are some of the worst drinks which children can ever consume. With a high percentage of acid and sugar, sports drink attacks the enamel causing them to weaken. These will eventually dissolve the enamel if proper oral hygiene is not followed.
Parents often find it difficult to stop their children from consuming unhealthy drinks. Therefore, it is vital that proper attention is given at home. Regular appointments to the children dentist in Doral and Coral Gable can also help provide guidance and answer any questions about providing a proper diet.
Below is a short list of preventive steps for parents to ensure their children consume the best quality drinks while also ensuring a child’s needs are met:
- Parents must make sure that their children drink plenty of water. Water helps in the development of healthy and strong teeth.
- Children must be educated about acid and sugar content in drinks and their side effects. This would prevent them from having weak gums, cavities, and other infections.
- Rinsing the mouth with mouth wash and brushing your teeth after consuming food is a key step in preventing oral diseases and infections.
Book an appointment with Petit Smiles to learn more about dental care and preventive steps for decay. Contact us and one of our amazing professionals will answer any questions you still might have.